Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Mad Men Dress Challenge

SO, for the past three years Julia Bobbin has hosted a "Mad Men Dress Challenge,"  where a bunch of sewists/ Mad Men enthusiasts create their own Joan/ Betty/ Peggy dresses.  I wanted to participate last year, and this dress worn by Jane, before she married Roger, when she was just Don's secretary would have been my inspiration.


I liked the simple, classic silhouette and most of all the bright squares along the side.  I thought the squares were really interesting, especially with the recent rebirth of the neon trend.

These other looks, from more recent episodes were also in the running for me.
This super cool swimsuit cover-up tunic thingee worn by Megan last season.
And this awesome chevron coat, also worn by Megz Draper.  Who doesn't love chevron?

ANYWAY, I decided to try the Jane dress.  I thought it would be great for some events I have coming up.  Here's how it came out.  It's mostly done, but I'm calling it a work in progress because I think I still have some fiddling to do with the squares, I also couldn't find colors as bright as I wanted.



No comments:

Post a Comment